World environment day celebrated on 5 June every year. Various initiatives were taken by government on this day:
- Municipal corporations start collecting segregated waste.
- Solar bus to showcase use of renewable energy in houses.
- Butterfly park opened at Asola Wildlife Sanctuary.
Municipal Corporations start collecting segregated waste:
Union minister for urban development and information and broadcasting M Venkaiah Naidu launched a campaign for solid waste segregation at source at Talkatora stadium.
The north and south Delhi municipal corporations have implemented new solid waste management rules in10 colonies. “The waste would be segregated into two parts – biodegradable and non-biodegradable – keep it in separate bins. They need to hand it over to authorized waste pickers as per direction of local authorities “said by a senior north MCD official. The bins would of two types – green (for biodegradable) and blue (for non-biodegradable).
Solar Bus to Showcase Use of Renewable Energy in Houses:
A solar bus, with LED bulbs, a refrigerator, an air cooler and an air conditioner, started a 20-day journey on the city roads on Monday to showcase how solar power. This bus is called “solar comet”. This was flagged of by environment NGO Green-peace India.
Delhi’s total solar potential is 2,500MW, with a residential potential of 1,250MW. The official target in Delhi to reach 1,000MW worth solar installations by 2020 and 2,000MW by 2025.
Butterfly Park opened at Asola Wildlife Sanctuary:
A butterfly park was inaugurated at Asola Bhatti Wildlife Sanctuary by Delhi forest department. It was organized under the theme “connecting people to nature”. This would be maintained under the guidance of Bombay Natural History Society. This park covers an area of 2.5 acres developed with minimum intervention and disturbance to existing flora and fauna. Till now 63 species of butterfly have been recorded in the park.
Also, there are so many celebrities in both Bollywood and Hollywood who are involved and working for the welfare of the environment.
- Abhishek Bachchan: He is one of the prominent faces of Swach Bharat Campaign, who have encouraged his fans for saving planet and take it on a serious note. He is also an ambassador of the campaign to convert kitchen waste into compost. He is also celebrating earth hour, since past years, by switching off lights of his house for an hour.
- Día Mirza: She is working for habitat preservation and wildlife preservation. She is advocated in sustainable living, to make green and environment friendly choices in our day to day life. Like creating green space at home to attract birds and butterflies, and replacing plastic with glass.
- Gul Panag: She is using an electric car for about two years and creating awareness, that how we can save our environment using electric mobility. As lungs are chocking with the emission coming from industries, commercial vehicles, etc. She has also declared that if we will use electric mobility than we can achieve India’s target full electricity by 2030.
- Leonardo DiCaprio: The titanic actor is associated with World Wildlife Fund, the Natural Resources Defense Council and Global Green USA. He is working tirelessly for the pertinent issue of climate change.
Apart from the individual contribution, celebrities like Priya Dutt, Karishma Kapoor, Neha Dhupia, Raveena Tandon, Zayed Khan, Tusshar Kapoor, Arbaaz Khan, Jeetendra Kapoor, Jackie Shroff, Ayushmann Khurrana celebrated World Environment Day on 5th June at an event, organized by Bhamla Foundation and Municipal corporation of Greater Mumbai(MCGM).