Sometimes I think, this life is so simple. When a child is born he goes to school after a while and grows up to be an adult, works for his living, marries and the same cycle is on repeat. But within the circle I just realised there is a more complex and more toxic cycle going on. And its creator is none other than us ! Yes we are its creators!
Let’s take the example of the dreaded disease cancer. It is caused by a mutation which causes our cells to lose the ability to divide in a controlled manner. This mutation is mainly caused due to lack of oxygen in our body or exposure to harmful chemicals. As we go back to the Egyptian era it has been found by researchers recently that the mummified bodies contain no trace of any disease like cancer. This proves that we are the reason of the origin and widespread of this disease.
Modern technology is making things easier for us, limiting our mobility as much as possible. This has given rise to a sedentary life style which is a contributing factor to this disease, reason being the lack of oxygen in our body due to low amount of exercise. The increasing industrialization has resulted in air pollution which is again a causing factor.
Last but not the least the rising food industry is going hands in hands with the pharmaceutical industry and this part amazes me the most! Let me explain this to you too!
The food products nowadays. Specially the tastiest ones! Carbonated drinks with artificial sugar, foods rich in sugar content, veggies and fruits containing chemicals to ripen them up, artificial sauces and spices, foods that contain artificial colours and preservatives,these are a few to name but almost all artificial foods have been found to be unhealthy and possible to cause cancer. Talking of the pharmaceutical industry now, its one of the largest and fastest growing industries in the world. Scientists and chemists are working day and night to find the best medicines and cures for the ever increasing types and numbers of diseases and its literally a business now, the pharmaceutical industry, though it’s for a good cause. But why can’t we grow together? We are working against ourselves only if we try to see from a deeper perspective. On one side technology is making us sedentary on the other fitness and nutrition industry takes the advantage, people pay hefty amounts to return to their original ,natural body which has been taken away by the junkie artefacts of the food world. On one hand pollution and packaged artificial food is giving rise to diseases and on the other the pharmaceutical industry comes to rescue. Why can’t we break this vicious circle ? Why can’t we escape this illusion of modernisation and progress. Its slowly degrading us.
I would like to share some ways by which we can tackle this at an individual level.
1. Saying no to carbonated drinks and foods which contain artificial colours and preservatives.
2. Going brown! i.e. Including brown sugar, brown bread and brown rice in your diet. Avoid white!
3. Go organic as organic food as the least possible amount of pesticides and chemicals.
4. Ensure that you work out at least half an hour a day, as this increases the blood flow and oxygen concentration in your body and this protects us from diseases like cancer.
5. Avoid red meat. Have green leafy vegetables as much as possible. Carrots and tomatoes are really helpful in fighting diseases like cancer and eye, skin diseases.
6. Have herbs and dry fruits occasionally like flax seeds( very beneficial in protecting from cancers)
7. Reduce your carbon foot print, i.e. contribute to all kinds of pollution as least as possible.
8. Avoid beauty products which contain harmful chemicals like parabenes, ammonia etc. Go for Ayurvedic or organic ones.
9. Go for CNG vehicles.
10. Be aware about health news and keep improvising your health and fitness schedule, because “Health is Wealth!”.